How to Pair with SerialMagic Gears
To pair your Bluetooth scanner with SerialMagic Gear's Serial Device Manager (SDM), follow the instructional section labeled "Pairing Your Scanner." If you use your scanner to scan into an application other than SerialMagic Gears (such as Scoutify or BookScouter), continue to the section labeled "Setting up SerialMagic Keys" (two-part process). If you are having trouble setting your default keyboard to SerialMagic Keys, we have instructions available for multiple Android devices (each Android model is different): How To Set Your Default Keyboard on Popular Android Devices.
Pair Your Scanner with SerialMagic Gears
1. From the main screen of SerialMagic Gears, tap on the Serial Device Manager icon. You can also tap on the "Device Manager" option from the Options menu.
2. The window that appears is the Serial Device Manager main view.
3. For Genuine Serialio Scanfobs: Scan the appropriate codes from your Quick Start Guide that came with your scanner (SerialMagic Gears supports SPP mode and BLE mode.)
4. Make your scanner discoverable and connectable.
5. To add a device, tap on the pink plus-sign (+) button within the Serial Device Manager main view.
6. The window you see is the Add Connection view. The first (upper) half of the screen is where you will see known and previously paired devices. The second (lower) half of the screen is where you will see newly discovered devices.
7. Once you have made your scanner discoverable, it will appear in the newly discovered device section (lower half of the App Connection view.)
8. To pair with your scanner, tap on its name.
9. Tapping on your scanner's name will trigger SerialMagic Gears to connect to it.
10. Once a successfull connection has been made between SerialMagic Gears and your scanner, the connection bar on the main screen of SerialMagic Gears will be green.
Activate SerialMagic Keys
Part One: Enable SerialMagic Keys
1. Tap on the Options icon located at the upper left-hand corner of the main screen of SerialMagic Gears.
2. Tap on "Settings."
3. Tap on "SerialMagic Keys."
4. Notice that the slider to the far right of SerialMagic Keys is grey (disabled). Tap on it to enable it (pink).
5. Tap on "SerialMagic Keys Settings."
6. You will see a pop-up labeled "SerialMagic GearSet Options." Tap "Yes."
7. SerialMagic Gears will then forward you to your Language and Input settings. Tap on the slider to the far left of SerialMagic Keys to toggle it to the ON position (blue).
8. Tap "Yes" on the Attention pop-up.
9. You have successfully enabled SerialMagic Keys.
Part Two: Set SerialMagic Keys as the Default Keyboard
1. Launch your Android Settings application.
2. Navigate to "Language and Input." You may have to search for it.
3. Tap on "Default Keyboard."
5. Select "SerialMagic Keys."
8. You are now ready to scan into any application, including Amazon Reseller, web browsers, BookScouter and more.
Having trouble with the latest release of SerialMagic Gears?
See our article on Troubleshooting Problems with a SerialMagic Gears Update.