WiSnap™ WiFi RS-232 Serial Embedded and Dongle Options
The WiSnap embedded WiFi RS-232 kit provides seamless connectivity for most any RS-232 serial devices. The WiSnap WiFi module can be used to WiFi enable virtually all legacy RS-232 devices to the Internet. WiSnap technology enables simple, fast, and accurate data collection to any WiFi Enabled device. This includes Android, iOS [iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch], BlackBerry, Symbian, WebOS, OS X, Linux, Windows Phone 7, Windows Mobile (Pocket PC, Classic, Professional, Smartphone), Windows 8 / 7 / 2008 / 2003 / Vista / XP / 2000.
WiSnap kit M2 can be powered from 5-12 VDC provided to pin-9 of DB9 connector when using the optional DB9 ribbon cable.
Or power from a regulated voltage as low as 3.3VDC connected to voltage in on the PCB.
WiSnap can enable wireless WiFi Internet connections to legacy devices like barcode scanners, NFC-RFID scanners, scales, multimeters, GPS receivers, vending machines, sensors, and most all RS-232 devices.
Use Wi-Fi to connect RS-232 data to to iPad, iPhone, iPod Touch, Android and hundreds of other models of mobile phones and mobile Internet devices.
Prefer a field-ready RS-232 Serial to WiFi dongle? Consider the WiSnap Standard (below-center)
Below-Right is the WiSnap SMD module you can embed in your own design.
Need longer range WiFi RS-232 serial options, or battery powered WiFi serial dongle? Consider the WiSnap M1 module options.
Compare WiSnap M1 & M2 modules
(Module PN=171, PCB PN=174)
(Module PN=131, PCB PN=134)
|Dimensions||26 x 18 x 3.1 mm||37 x 20 x 4 mm|
|Transmit Power||Firmware configurable:
0 to 10dBm
|Antenna Options||PCB trace||Chip, U.FL. connector|
|Temperature Range||-45°C to +85°C||RN-131G: -30°C to +85°C
RN-131C: 0°C to +70°C
|Power||4μA sleep, 30mA Rx,
185mA at 10dBm Tx
|4μA sleep, 40mA Rx,
Compare WiSnap PCB kits 174 & 134 below. Note: the WiFi RS-232 dongle with 4-inch antenna at the right uses the M2 module.
Setup of the WiSnap to your WLAN is as easy as a few taps on your mobile device. See WiSnap Setup options.
Want a software jumpstart?
Get complete Java source code for JavaTerm app shown here: JavaTerm app with Java SerialPort API.
Buy SerialPort API - .
Want source code for WiSnap Setup app on iOS App Store? - Click here to purchase source code.
Need to process ASCII data on iOS? (iPad/iPhone/iPod)
When your device sends ASCII data with the form <DATA>CR (data followed by carriage return i.e. hex 0x0D) you can use Mobile Grid and iScanBrowser apps already on the App Store, to process your data, no programming needed!
Grid-In-Hand® Mobile Grid for iOS collects data and can send as Excel spreadsheet anywhere
Get Grid-In-Hand® Mobile Grid Plus app from the App Store
iScanBrowser for iOS - iPad / iPhone / iTouch - The absolute easiest way to scan Barcode & RFID data to web pages, also has kiosk features.
Get iScanBrowser app from the App Store
Note: The WiSnap is available special order with a DB9 female plug, minimum order size will apply.
Need a mobile Bluetooth RS-232 adaptor? Consider the BlueSnap.
The WiSnap can be configured over a standard RS-232 cable using any terminal software such as JavaTerm (in the SerialPort API), TeraTerm, CoolTerm, or PuTTY.
The WiSnap can also be configured over Wi-Fi using a RAW TCP/IP socket connection, or Telnet session from applications such as PuTTY or TeraTerm.
- Qualified 2.4GHz IEEE 802.11b/g transceiver
- High throughput, up to 4Mbps sustained data rate with TCP/IP and WPA2
- Ultra-low power (4μA sleep, 30mA Rx, 185mA at 10dB m Tx)
- Small, compact surface mount module
- On board ceramic chip antenna and U.FL connector for external antenna
- 8 Mbit flash memory and 128 KB RAM
- UART and SPI (future) data/control interfaces
- 10 general purpose digital I/O
- 8 analog inputs
- Real-time clock for wakeup and time stamping/data logging
- Accepts 3.3V regulated or 2-3V battery with on board boost regulators
- Supports Adhoc and Infrastructure mode connections
- On board ECOS-OS, TCP/IP stacks
- Wi-Fi Alliance certified for WPA2-PSK
- FCC / CE/ ICS certified and RoHS compliant
- Host Data Rate Up to 2.7 Mbps for UART
- Memory 128 KB RAM,2MB ROM, 2 KB battery-backed memory, 8 Mbit Flash.
- Intelligent, built-in power management with programmable wakeup
- Can be powered from regulated 3.3-3.7V source or 2.0-3.0V batteries
- Real time clock for time stamping, auto-sleep and auto-wakeup modes
- Configuration over UART or wireless interfaces using simple ASCII commands
- Over the air firmware upgrade (FTP), and data file upload.
- Secure WiFi authentication WEP-128, WPA-PSK (TKIP), WPA2-PSK (AES).
- Built in networking applications DHCP client, UDP, DNS client , ARP, ICMP ping, FTP, HTTP
- 802.11 power save and roaming functions
- WiFi Range [line-of-sight to quality access point]: 150 feet (wire antenna), > 600 feet (chip antenna), > 800 feet (4" off-chip antenna).